Things to do before you leave
We suggest the following things to do before you leave your Florida home or condo for extended periods.
- Turn the water off at the emergency cut off alve outside of the home or condo.
- Unplug the computer and remove the phone jack from the wall if you have a modem.
- Unplug lamps, televisions, VCR's and stereos.
- Unplug the hot water heater or flip the circuit breaker.
- Leave the refrigerator on, but do not leave any food in it or in the freezer. There is no need to unplug the stove unless you choose to.
- Prop open the dishwasher door to prevent mold growth from residual moisture.
- Turn off the water to the washing machine and the hot water heater.
- Close the fireplace flue if your home or condo has a fireplace.
- Turn down the volume on the phone so it won't ring endlessly for outsiders to hear. This is so no one knows you are not home.
- Don't move plants ot group them together for easy watering. Plants may not adjust to their new locatins and die.
- Give a trusted neighbor or friend a key. Give them any buy revlimid security alarm information and any telephone numbers where you can be reached for emergency.
- Don't leave your home "empty" looking. Have someone open and close drapes or blinds occassionally. Put a radio and lights on a timer to make it seem as if the home is occupied.
- If you contract with a service, make sure they are licensed, bonded and insured.
Coastal Management Corporation of Southwest Florida317 N. Collier Blvd. Marco Island, Florida 34145